I hope that your 2020 is off to a good start! WIP Chicago kicks off this year with several exciting changes, including a new board (pictured, at right), new communications tools, and plans for new events to empower, inform, and inspire our members.
New Board Members
I’m pleased to introduce and welcome seven WIP members that recently joined our board:
- Lauren Savino, Community Outreach Committee Chair
- Adela Ghinet, CFA, Communications Committee Chair
- Julianna Paterra, CFA, CAIA, Sponsorship Committee Chair
- Melissa Binder, CFA, Treasurer and Finance Committee Chair
- Nancy Prial, CFA, Vice President and Members Only Committee Chair
- Maureen O’Brien, Governance & Nominating Committee Chair
- Joanne Hickman Dodd, Professional Development Chair
New Communications Tools
As membership continues to grow, we are pleased to launch an electronic newsletter to provide information about our mission, events, and accomplishments. The newsletter is intended to complement our website by highlighting what’s new and important. Feel free to forward the e-mail to non-member colleagues and contacts that you think might be interested in our organization. In addition, we’ve recently created a new LinkedIn page that will eventually replace our existing LinkedIn group. If you haven’t already done so, please take a moment to “Follow” the page so you can begin seeing WIP updates in your LinkedIn feed and engage in discussions with other members.
We’re excited to launch a new professional development program, led by WIP co-founder Joanne Hickman Dodd, designed to help you achieve success and happiness in your career and personal life. Based on responses to a professional development survey, initial sessions will focus on the three areas that respondents indicated were of highest interest: business skills, people interaction skills, and personal objectives. Look out for details in the April kick-off session!
Highlights from 2019
A new year is also great time to reflect on accomplishments over the past 12 months. I’m glad to take this opportunity to share some of the highlights from 2019, including:
- 2019 annual economic outlook luncheon, where a panel offered insights about trends and risks to global stock and bond markets
- Members-only education series focused on the shifting bedrock of financial markets from public to private securities, including equity, debt, and real assets
- New professional development luncheon that featured accomplished women sharing their personal and professional journeys, including meaningful lessons learned
- Cocktails and conversation at the summer networking event at the Art Institute of Chicago
- New-member happy hour, where those who recently joined WIP had the opportunity to meet the Board, learn about the evolution of the organization, and explore opportunities to get more involved
- 2019 annual Trailblazer dinner in honor of a woman who has inspired us through her personal and professional excellence. This year’s recipient was Kristen Doyle, CFA, Partner and Head of Public Funds at AHIC
- Holiday gathering and fundraiser benefiting Deborah’s Place, an organization dedicated to creating opportunities for homeless Chicago women
Last but certainly not least, I’d like to thank our corporate sponsors and welcome firms that became new corporate sponsors in 2019. New to the WIP corporate sponsor program are Nuveen, Aegon Asset Management, Willis Towers Watson, and Principal. These organizations join the following firms to whom WIP is extremely thankful for their generosity and support: Legal & General Investment Management America, Northern Trust, Putnam Investments, UBS, AON, BlackRock, Clearbridge Investments, Graystone Consulting, PPM America, Jackson National, T. Rowe Price, Capital Group, Manulife Investment Management, Marquette Associates, Neuberger Berman, Mesirow Financial, and Segal Marco Advisors.
As always, we welcome your input and feedback. Wishing you all the best for a successful year!